View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who does he pay for the land? If the peasants are the owners, why would they sell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

One of the suppositions of anarchocapitalism is that "government" properties - parks, museums, national monuments, schools, roads, wildlife refuges, etc. - would be seized or auctioned off.

How this process would work - who would get the money raised from auctions, or which seizures would be valid, or how it would be decided who got to seize what - are some of the questions acists typically avoid answering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m pretty sure the land the peasants are farming would not be auctioned off, as they are not public goods. I haven’t come across any ideas, as to who gets the auction money, so I am working out solutions on my own.

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that regardless of how the auctioning or seizure process worked, the owners of land or other means of production would (according to ACism) end up with the kind of power any medieval despot aspire to.

[ QUOTE ]
Now the peasants can raise the price of their crops to afford their rent. The king isn't farming so he'll probably reduce his rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the king-cum-capitalist landlord would charge what the market would bear, and the farmers would do what farmers always do - which is to charge the market price.

I'm not sure why you think the king would reduce rents, or why anything would change for the farmers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I’m not thinking in a vacuum. The former king just bought the entire realm, what is he paying his mercenaries, food, castle maintenance, mote maintenance, stable staff, maids, hunting dogs, heat, clothing, etc with? We both agree he isn’t providing it for himself, how much money exactly does he have? If the realm was so cheap why wasn’t he outbid? Maybe you’ve forgotten that his forcefully appropriated, fiat taxes are now worthless, not to mention buying the realm will bankrupt any single individual. The King/President/Prime Minister produced nothing, ergo he couldn’t outbid 1 bushel of corn at any auction. His personal income/salary/treasury would be worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
If he likes affordable food he will have a great deal less, or is he one of those infinitely wealthy, abdicating, farming, hypothetical monarchs?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the same as any owner - he does not work himself; he profits from his investments.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn’t have any investments. Anarcho-Capitalism isn’t sorcery you can’t just buy stuff with a piece of paper that was only worth as much as you could force people to believe it was worth. Once abdicated the king would be worth exactly as much of the stolen gold/silver as he manages to keep. He can’t use it, because every single former taxpayer will file suit as soon as it becomes available for a return of a portion of his wealth.