View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Then Win An Election

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read the whole thread but where is Felix stating that Bush proposed legislation? Were Clinton's actions regarding welfare reform overstepping his Constitutional authority? I'm guessing you'll state that Clinton's actions regarding Social Security weren't but Bush's actions on Social Security were. Don't see much of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think either are overstepping their authority. I think there are many gray areas and overlapping duties/responsibilities. My, probably poorly written, post was intended to suggest that there is a great deal of overlap between the executive and the legislature. The USA PATRIOT Act, for example, was largely written by the executive. I don't have a problem with that even though it is the legislature's job to write laws. Similarly, I don't have a separation of powers problem with Pelosi travelling to Syria (as Felix apparently does) as there is a great deal of overlap in the responsibilities of the legislature and the executive in foreign policy matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thanks. I actually don't have a problem with Pelosi going to Syria either. Certainly within her purveyance as a legislator in a national legislative body (as well as being a legislative leader) to do so.