View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: A question about the US attorneys firing...

[ QUOTE ]
Bush's sacking of eight more U.S. attorneys is therefore another of his many departures from precedent and law -- illegal edavesdropping, illegal torture, illegal war -- designed to illicitly empower this "conservative" administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know enough to comment on the specifics, but generally speaking, my sense is that this adminstration has indeed been seeking (and gaining) illegal empowerments, has been exceeding its Constitutional authority, and has at least encroached on the rights of American citizens.

Historically speaking, no doubt other administrations have done some such things too, but this is the first time in my lifetime that it has seemed like such a noticeable or major thing. Maybe some of that feeling is due to my just being more aware lately, but I really feel like this administration has overstepped more than any administration I can remember.

Watergate may have been more blatantly illegal but the current trend seems deeper and more significant and with greater ramifications. In short, I think this is a much more important issue than was Watergate.