Thread: Greg's Digest
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Greg\'s Digest

OK, I'm moving on to the next hand. Until I start getting some IMs, I'll just pick some stuff that has a bunch of replies:

This is from MyironThumb's thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Both villans in hand were playing crazy. villan 1, who check raised flop was 59/17/2.2 and the other was 35/13/2.1

I'd seen villan bluff ALOT. basically if it was checked to him, or he had any sniff of a weak hand he insta potted it up

wtf do you do here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$1/$2 Blinds
6 Players
Lego Poker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
SB: $276.45
BB: $1255.15
UTG: $1259.35
MP: $215.35
CO: $215.85
<font color="black">hero (BTN): $432.70</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q ($3, 6 Players)
UTG calls $2, MP folds, CO calls $2, <font color="red">hero raises to $11</font>, SB folds, BB calls $9, UTG calls $9, CO calls $9

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 7 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 ($45, 4 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="red">hero bets $38</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $98</font>, UTG calls $98, CO folds, hero calls $60

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 7 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($339, 3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $104</font>, UTG calls $104, <font color="red">hero??????????????????? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I like preflop, although sometimes I make it more than pot when there is at least one limper to punish them, but obviously this is fine too.

I like your flop bet. If the majority of players are really bad, this bet size is good, because you will still get called by something crappy. However, if you are playing against better players, you can bet something slightly less, such as ~30, because, to a good player, you represent the same thing (overpair). It's still not *great* odds to call with a draw for them, and you can double barrel the turn a lot if it's a blank.

Alright, so you get raised by BB. According to your read, we should still consider our hand to be the best. I agree. Now, UTG cold calls. This may or may not be bad. We see he limp/called UTG, so 22/44/77 is certainly in his range, but we cannot automatically give him credit for a set. He can have a draw or a pair a lot (he's a donkey). Honestly, if his was 100bb deep, I would say shove QQ here.

OK, so on the turn BB bets out 1/3 the pot. And UTG calls. I would now say this is an easy push. You certainly are ahead, and their most likely hands are draws or pairs of 7s/88/9xc. Interestingly enough, I don't think you're going to fold out anything, but that really doesn't matter, since you're ahead sooo much.

Going through this hand brings up a really really interesting point IMO about extracting money from donkeys. I think a lot of SSNL/MSNL players need to be much more fearless when they are getting money from a bad player. Bad players are BAD, and they do not have the logic that a good player has. You cannot sit there and say, "Well, I'm not going to get called by worse, and this board is really bad here anyway, so there is no point in betting. I'll check behind here." Or, "Wow, he potted into me on 2 streets, he has to know I have a pair of aces. I'll fold if he does it on the river." Bad players do not have the same thought processes that a good player does. Henceforth, so many 2p2ers don't stack off light enough to bad players. I remember one of the first things I noticed when I started playing the NL2000 games was that the players in there absolutely were fearless in betting and calling vs bad players. And, I have shifted to become this way as well. I am passing along the advice to you all. They suck. Use your hand reading ability to find out where you stand, and just press the gas all the way down if you feel you are ahead. Use analysis and all that stuff for good, thinking, opponents.

Actually, I think I might write an article about this topic. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?