View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Sports Statistics

Strassa,

I'm just getting into a lot of sports stats myself. I eventually would like to do an analysis of play calling in the NFL. Run vs pass on 1st and 10 being the most simple. It appears that most teams pass too little (the expectation from passing is greater than running), but I think something like the oft discussed reducing variance in tournaments may make running just as good.

I would highly recommend that you read Baseball Between the Numbers if you haven't already and care about baseball, which you didn't mention. It's a book full of good statistics and strategic stuff. Some chapters are written by 2+2er Nate tha Great (or however he spells it). The most interesting IMO was, and discussed whether Ortiz is clutch. Basically, he created a stat that uses probability of winning through various batting outcomes to determine whether some hitters do better in more important situations.

For football, www.footballoutsiders.com is pretty good. I haven't read everything, but there is a lot there. They developed some fairly deep statistics that seem pretty good. I would reccomend reading The Hidden Game of Football as well. It was published I think in 1987 and apparently is out of print but your local library probably has it.