View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 AM

Default George Will\'s \"The Last Word\" on College \"Acceptance\"

From George Will's "The Last Word" column in this week's Newsweek :

"April 9, 2007 issue - Ivies," "safeties," "AP prep courses," "legacy," "résumé-enhancing activity," "nonbinding early acceptance," "rolling admissions," "single-choice early action." If this argot is familiar to you, poor you: You have a child in high school, and these are the days that try your soul, the spring days when many college admissions are announced, often by e-mail, which is how AP Harry learned he was deferred by Harvard."

This is the start of Will's review of (quoting Will) "Susan Coll's new novel "Acceptance," set in Verona County, Md., which is the real Montgomery County, Md., thinly disguised—rich, liberal, full of strivers and contiguous to strivers' paradise.".

Good read even if you don't like Will. I missed all this but was a srtiver relatively speaking since I took the sample test in the exam notice before taking the actual SAT.

Was it similar to what was described in Will's column review for any of you younger people?

Has anyone read the actual book? There are only two reviews so far on Amazon. I nead some light reading for my trip back East to see family and I'm considering picking this up before the flight.

~ Rick