View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Anarchocapitalism = economic totalitarianism?

[ QUOTE ]
ACers=the magic of a market economy is that everyone acting in their own best interests (which is human nature)

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to be a nit for a second: Most ACists (the Austrians at least) wouldn't claim that 'acting in one's own best interest' is human nature.

The Austrian claim is that 'acting', i.e. purposeful behavior, is necessarily in one's self-interest because it makes no sense to say that someone would purposefully act against their 'interests'. (This is the foundation of praxeology, and the argument can be traced back to the Socratic dialogues of both Plato and Aristotle).

[ QUOTE ]
the belief (whether of Lenin or Adam Smith) that we can devise a social system so perfect that no one will need to be good, is one of the great delusions of our time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in keeping with the above, an Austrian might say that, if we knew nothing about how bad/good people were, a market-anarchist society would be the best bet for a prosperous society. Obviously if EVERYONE is completely dishonest, or most people are, then no social arrangement will work particularly well.