View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: The Gardening Thread

I felt the same way as you until I read on a cancer forum that gardening is great, low-impact activity that is good for recovery. It really is, too. For once, the doctors were right about something, lol.

The amount of work you put into it is very dependent on different things. Working the soil in Arizona is a snap, because there is no grass, and the soil just breaks apart in your hand. So digging is nothing. Not like breaking through six inches of Georgia clay or something.

Montana might actually be along those lines. Easier than midwestern or southern soil.

Also, gardening is so low-impact and work-at-your-will, that it doesn't seem to be such a huge chore. It's not like jogging, where you still have to somehow get home if you get tired a mile out.

I don't bother with corn. Corn is tough to grow here, and robs the soil of every nutrient. It's not worth it for me, but everyone is different.

Beets are awesome, but they are totally different out of the ground versus pickled and canned. You might love both (I do), you might not like them untreated.

Try to grow the variety of corn that is suited for Montana. Remember, you have very, very short seasons. The things you can grow there are extremely limited.

Ray Zee always has lots of thoughts on gardening in Montana. Look for his posts from last year and from the "spring planting" thread. You can also look through that thread for some other good ideas.

Good luck!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]