View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: NL: Why the hate on short buy-ins?

[ QUOTE ]
You're assuming shortstackers know what they're doing which is an unwarranted assumption.

Don't mock the real players for calling with less than stellar hands until you mock the shortstackers for open pushing with A7o and pocket deuces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't make that assumption. I'm saying that those who are assuming that they DON'T know what they are doing are incorrect, though if that approach works for you, fine with me.

Phil Gordon addresses this debate in his Green Book, and cautions readers that they need to be aware that short stacks will often take big risks with shorter stacks. Sklansky also talks about it. I think just about every poker book I've read addresses the reality that short stacks take bigger risks with worse hands, and that deep stacks should not try bluffing them off their hands, but engage them with premium hands.

And also, I think Gordon writes about the folly of playing poker to show to others how skillful you are rather than playing for MONEY. But hey, what does a bestselling, succesful poker author know. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]