View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: The Gardening Thread

I have always really resisted gardening. Always thought it would be way too much work. I am still not too convinced that this is not the case.

But, now that we have a house and more yard than I know what to do with, I want to at least give gardening a try.
The folks who had the house before us had a nice spot for a garden all tilled up and one of our neighbors has a tiller we can use so I think I have those bases covered. There is a neverfreeze spigot very near the garden so watering it should be no problem at all.

I really love sweet corn and want to give that a try. I also will plant some beets since I love canned/pickled beets and want to be able to do that this fall. Not sure that I want to try anything else yet but would be open for suggestions on stuff that would be very easy to take care of and grow (potato's maybe??). I also would love to hear suggestion for which type of sweet corn to grow. I have been looking in a lot of catalogs and there are too many to choose from. Having choices is good but I have no idea where to start!

So, along with the "In the pot" tips, any other "in the ground" gardening tips for a complete beginner are welcome as well.