View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Flopped jackpot - rivered.

[ QUOTE ]
I still dont get it

[/ QUOTE ]At Commerce, the BBJ is Aces full (or better) beaten by four of a kind (or better). Both hole cards must play.

Three aces on the board does not invalidate the BBJ--in fact, it's probably the most common way to win.

So AB flopped aces full of jacks. When he gets raised on the flop, he is thinking/hoping villain has a strong ace. There are some sort of unwritten rules about how betting is supposed to go in a possible BBJ hand, which in spite of the many hours I've logged there, I still don't get. This may explain the 'strange' way AB played the hand. If there's too much action others assume you don't have a qualifying hand, so you have to give up some value to have a chance at a 15K payday.

So the A7 would have qualified for the BBJ if the board didn't bring anything higher than a 7 on the turn or river. (It's surprising to me, but you don't have to actually "beat" the board, since it can tie your kicker and you'll still win.)

Edit: I've recently moved up to 20-40, which does not have a BBJ, and I have to admit I sometimes miss the minor rush of watching a possible BBJ hand unfold. It's lame, but the excitement can be infectious. You can win a $600 pot at 20-40 and it's meh, but a $250 table share of a BBJ gets you pounding the table and high-fiving people you can't stand.