View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Default A Preflop Strategy

About me for a sec: I'm a fairly successful HE player who used to play 2000nl, but ran into a swing that drained my confidence so I cashed everything out(on stars). After a slightly painful process, I was able to put some money back in. So now I'm currently in the rebuilding stage of my bankroll. In this stage, I've realized the oh so wonderful game of omaha. I have been pretty successful so far, so I thought I'd share my approach to the game and see what I might be doing wrong. Feedback is much appreciated.

OKAY. Within the time that I have been playing, I noticed that I play VERY tightly. I see about 15% of the flops. The range of hands I play go as follows:

4 connecting cards double suited in ep, can be rainbow in lp
Double suited cards with king or ace high
A2/A3 only when I have something else to back it up
Usually pot with AA if I have decent draws behind, otherwise limp or fold to another raise(something pretty sketchy like AA79 rainbow)
3 cards of the wheel with an ace high flush draw

Sometimes I play tighter than this in the early stages of the tournament. I figure that most of the time, the flop won't go your way, so why risk it when the reward will likely only be ~200 chips? As the tournament progresses I do loosen up. I usually become a pretty big lag 4 handed or less(player dependent).

I guess that's it for now. Am I approaching this game the right way?