View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Preliminary Kill Phil Comments

There is somewhat of a conceptual problem that is bothering me with the pure all-in/fold strategy. Let's assume you win a couple of hands early and manage to build up a huge stack. What happens is this: You will tighten up so much waiting for aces or kings that you become a spectator. In the meantime the blinds will shoot up and other players will eliminate each other which leads to survivors with pretty big stacks also. Sooner or later you will be forced to go all-in again against people that can hurt or even bust you. That's ok you might think, but actually you are giving up a major advantage of a big stack and that is the ability to bully the small stacks.

Basically you are using your stack to buy time (waiting for others to go broke) instead of putting pressure on other players and stealing pots. I wonder if that can be the "correct" approach.

Assuming you are a strong player, it is also interesting to find out what is better: Playing many hands for small pots or playing only a few hands for big pots. In my opinion, playing many hands for small pots should reduce the short term luck factor in the tournament, simply because the number of hands is bigger. If you put your tournament on just 5-6 hands, short term luck should play a much bigger role.