View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Is optimism insane?

[ QUOTE ]
I was told this by a friend, and I assumed it was true, but I haven't been able to verify it, sorry about that.

I know harrah's HAS developed online poker software, and they wouldn't be doing that if they thought the US was going to keep its current stance.

Large corporations like Harrah's are well aware of most of the true nature of our public policy. If they have software, it'll be legal sooner rather than later.

I was told the software is already being used in-house, on an intranet, don't know if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this could well be true, as for whether this was the implicit aim of the politicians I'm not so sure. While I have no doubt that they were aware of the consequences in this regard, I believe that it was merely one of a number of motivations.

However, one of the benefits of my current view is that it implies that all the big US gaming giants (who could easily be criticised for standing aside and rubbing their hands with delight as potential competitors were forced out) may well have made a huge error of judgement. If they end up restricting their own ability to enter the market they are in a worse position if my prediction about a novel solution comes true. They would have been much better off aggressively pushing and lobbying for the legalisation of online gambling, and then purchasing an established company.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the attitude of the gaming corps while the UIGEA was being passed..