View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Penn and Teller on Walmart

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can't? I quit my job a few months ago. Now, granted, I wasn't working at WalMart, but the job police didn't come by and try to stop me from quitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you quit your job if you didn't have another one lined up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I did. That's why I used that example.

[ QUOTE ]
Makes a difference, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does. But whether one has enough savings to go unemployed for a while or not is independent of whether one works at WalMart or somewhere more to your liking. There are probably people who work at Costco, where the grass is greener and everyone has a pony, that have little in savings and also feel that quitting without having another job lined up would be too difficult.

[ QUOTE ]
And I'm betting you have some skills that had other employers wanting you to work from there, decent education, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a totally seperate issue.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're conflating coercion initiated by other people and economic and biological realities. WalMart doesn't cause your hunger, then use that to extort you into working for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, walmart doesn't force me to work for them. But they do know I need that job working for them to get money to be able to buy that food, so they can use that fact to exploit the relationship. If I work at walmart, until I have another job offer they determine whether I eat or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did WalMart prevent you from saving any money? Did you wake up one day and find yourself employed there, forced to report to work?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what?

WalMart needs its customers a hell of a lot more than than the customers need WalMart. Is it unjust for customers to use this leverage to get WalMart to offer lower prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference being a consumer can easily go to another establishment to buy.. whatever they are buying at walmart. The employee cannot just go to another store and automatically get employment.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't just go to another store and "automatically" get what you want that WalMart has, either. I went to Home Depot, and they didn't have bananas! But they did have a "now hiring" sign.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, that sounds scary. Reassigned to the Lawn and Garden siberia!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really ignorant. This is coercive and threatening behavior by walmart. Why do you think people might want to unionize? It's almost like they are stuck with the job they have and want to make it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOO don't threaten me with REASSIGNMENT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What difference does it make what the motivation is? Reassignment is part of employment. Big deal. Is this the "horrid" treatment you were talking about?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What difference does this make? College educated white collar professionals don't need to eat? They don't have families?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, educated professionals have more specialized skills, which helps their power in the labor market. A experience surgeon (to take an extreme) has his choice of where to work, he'll get offers from all over and can choose whichever one he wants. On the other extreme the guy who dropped out of high school, got no other training and has no skills beyond operating a cash register is in the opposite situation. White-collar professionals fall closer to the surgeon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of places have cash registers. Are you just upset that cash register operators don't get flown all over the country for interviews? Personally, I would prefer interviewing locally; travelling is a pain. The white collar worker is coerced into an unpleasant situation!