View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Penn and Teller on Walmart

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I don't really care what they think.

Why should I care about your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why were they brought up? You don't have to care about what I say (you clearly don't), but I am at least aware of the horrid labor relations walmart has had, which P/T apparently are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't bring them up.

And I'm not seeing any "horrid" conditions here (oh noes, you might get REASSIGNED to ANOTHER PART OF THE STORE!!! (cue scary music)). If someone says "I'll pay you X to do Y" and both parties agree, I have no objection. I can think of a lot of jobs that are much, much less pleasant. Crab fishing, for example. Getting splashed with freezing salt water all day, working around the clock, being trapped on the boat, working around dangerous machinery that might drag me to the bottom of the ocean.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically. Actions > words.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'm not a libertarian. Just because someone isn't putting a gun to your head doesn't mean it's not coercive. The employer has a large amount of power over his/her employees, and there are plenty of people with the ability to do these kind of jobs. Do you think the boss needs worker X as much as worker X needs their boss? Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this make it coercive? I just moved into a new house. There three private security firms, about 10 different lawn service firms and five or six different pest control firms all trying to work for me. Do I have "coercive" power over them? They came to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, an example: A boss tells a female employee: "You must have sex with me or you're fired."

Is that coercive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hookers get that ultimatum all the time. Are they being coerced?

Seriously, though, nobody owns "their" job, so having conditions placed upon the keeping of that job cannot be coercive. A boss tells a female (what difference does it make if the employee is male or female?) employee "you're fired".

Is that coercive?