View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: 2nd pair w/ nut flush draw

[ QUOTE ]
The overbet shove is good..Your hand has massive equity get the chips into the middle now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm okay with a flop push in this hand, but I honestly don't understand why that recommendation is so automatic on this forum for big combo draws and pair-plus-flush-draw hands. I mean, there are a lot of factors to consider when evalutating the play, and the situation tends to be a lot more complicated than "based on the action so far, we have an equity edge, so let's get all of our money in immediately." Sometimes that equity edge no longer exists if we get called (which doesn't necessarily make pushing bad all by itself, but still), and sometimes our implied odds are too good and too reliable to give up because we know we're drawing and also know there's also a good chance Villain will let us do so cheaply on the big streets but will also likely pay off, at least to some degree, if we catch.

Anyway, though, in the posted hand, I think the biggest argument against a push is that that play might drive out some worse hands that Villain would have continued betting with. (I mean, what I like best about our hand is our draw, but our made hand is a pretty good one too, and it has decent showdown value against our seemingly LAG opponent.)