View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: AC and anthropocentrism

[ QUOTE ]
In practically every civilized society, the torture of animals is a crime, but I don't see how AC can deal with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that it's not going to get a lot of attention should indicate to you that it's simply not that big of a deal in the first place. First off, very few people actually want to torture animals. You have to be pretty sick. I'm about as anthropocentric as it gets; I'm ok with animals being eaten, enslaved, driven to extinction, heck I'll grant someone his or her own right to light their cat(property) on fire. But I don't actually get any pleasure of torturing an animal, nor do I go out and kill them for enjoyment. The only weirdos that do do this must be few and far between, and chances are that if someone really gets off on this kind of thing, our laws aren't going to stop him anymore than they can stop sodomy in certain southern states where it's illegal.

Just because you legalize something doesn't mean everyone's going to suddenly do it. I've argued on several occasions that parental infanticide should be legal, since the only sick, depraved human beings that may exist for whom the only thing stopping them from murdering the very product of their being is the law really shouldn't be procreating in the first place. If we legalize heroin, is everyone going to become a heroin addict? It didn't happen during the industrial revolution.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, this is possibly my biggest problem with AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS!?!? Occasional, sporadic kitty torture is your biggest beef with AC? Dude, just drink the Kool-Aid already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]