View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Busting my Outback cherry

[ QUOTE ]
The lobster "crabcake" is actually quite good. The outbacker burger is tasty too. I only go there for lunch, so I don't know what to tell you for actual dinner fare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent suggestion. As to the poster who said "bleh", you wouldn't be that far off. As to the others who say "go to a real steakhouse", believe me I would but this is a treat to my friend and I already vetoed Red Lobster, so I pretty much had to do Outback.

So I felt like I had to get the Bloomin Onion (although I always call it "Awesome Blossom" for some reason - does Chili's have an Awesome Blossom?). Exactly like I thought, all grease, fairly tasty, but we could only eat 1/3 of it. I think the best thing about this dish--and the reason everyone orders it--is it looks pretty. Bread was quite good. Lobster Crabcake things, very very good, food highlight of the evening.

For entree, I got the Filet coated with blue cheese stuff. Really a pretty good filet, perfect cook and consistency. The blue cheese stuff was a bit much, but if you scrape all of it off I think it adds just the right amount of flavor. Baked potato - ok, standard - but I was stuffed by then.

My friend got the gigantic prime rib, which seemed way too tough for prime rib. Not recommended. Her daughter got the barbie ribs. They looked pretty funny, two petite females with their Fred Flinstone sized portions. She said they were ok, but not as good as Kansas City. But that's an impossible standard no one can live up to. If a Kansas Citian says some other BBQ is ok, then it's probably excellent by anyone else's standards. Sorry BBQ is the one thing KCians have a right to be snobby about. Deal with it.

I've heard a lot about the chocolate thunder from down under, but we were all just way too sweaty, bloated and flatulent from our gigantic portions to think about ordering it.

The other highlight on the evening was the waitress. My friend and her daughter are very polite but can be fairly high maintenance. Our server was perfectly right on top of everything, incredibly friendly, suggested everything at the right time, was never too hovering. As someone who waited tables off and on for 10 years, I was incredibly impressed. Best service I've gotten anywhere in a long time. I gave her $35 on a $97 tab, and told her manager she was excellent on the way out. Someone who's that good at their job, and still friendly is generally the sign of a pretty-well run joint (think of the opposite of PP).

So overall:

Food - 7 out of 10
Service - 10 out of 10
Prices - expected
Atmosphere - eh, who cares?

I can think of about a million other places I'd like to try before I go back, but I won't scream if someone makes me go. I will avoid the awesome onion thing next time. Too much grease.