View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: 5 Biggest College Basketball Programs Right Now

[ QUOTE ]
Since 1994, they've been the Final Four 4 times, won it once could win it again.

# of FF Since 1994:

UNC-4
Duke-4
UF-4
UCLA-3
MSU-4
Zona-3
Kansas-2
Arkansas-2
Maryalnd-2
Cuse-2
Kentucky-3
UCONN-2

So Florida has been pretty good for a while.

USC with their new coach will probally be more of a basketball school then in the past. They got Mayo to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not debating that UF has had great success since 1994. A team's win-loss record, however, isn't the sole factor in measuring how good a program is. Considering the success that Florida's teams have had on the hardwood over the last several years, their fan support is HORRIBLE. Off the top of my head, I can't even think of a national champion in the last 20 years that has worse fan support than Florida.

Calling them a top 5 program is laughable. Florida is the defending national champs, yet they didn't come close to selling out there allotment of tickets for either site they've played at thus far in the tourney. UNLV and Butler sold all 1200 of their allotted tickets in St. Louis, but Florida sent 500 back. That's absolutely pathetic, when you consider that they're defending national champs and have been to 4 final 4's since 1994.

The bottom line is, if you're a basketball school, at a football university, in a football state, you're almost certainly never going to be a top 5 bball program.