View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Theory behind big Add-On\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say the structure is $20 buy in - T2000 / $20 rebuy - T2000 / $20 add on - T3000

I need some help understnding exactly the purpose of setting up your tournament with this structure. Specifically the add on. Unless it's purely for increasing the pot then I guess I understand.

Somebody set me straight. Tell me I'm an idiot (about the add on, not just in general) and just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

(had to be done) :P

Besides building the prize pool, it gives the players who DIDN'T rebuy a chance to build their stacks, vs. those who did rebuy and got lucky and built THEIR stacks.

My limited experience with rebuy tourneys is that the structure is set high enough that if you just coast along and hit the add-on period, you're extremely short-stacked if you DON'T add on.

Additionally, it gives people a chance to overcome bad luck early- one of my tourneys, AQ vs. AK in the first round get all of the money in on an AAx flop and the river Queen sent AK home. Rebuys allow a recovery from that.

Unfortunately, rebuy tourneys in the area are heavily slanted (as you've experienced) and a lot of people are scarred by them and therefore don't want to try them here.

Really, a rebuy tourney could be viewed as "instead of a $40 freezeout, we'll do a $20 with one rebuy allowed" equivilant... sort of.