View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: An objective analysis: Why doesn’t small ball work at micro stakes

Marshall,

I read the entire OP. I also know where you are coming from, as this is always something I have struggled with when moving up levels, and I think you are taking unneccessary offense with my reply.

This is what you said:[ QUOTE ]
So basically this is what I’m advocating… First, relax; you don’t need to play a lot of pots to win a lot of money. Second, tighten up; stop calling pre-flop raises in marginal situations. Third, stop trying to put a move on a guy you know isn’t going to fold, because most of the time they won’t. And fourth, when you do wake up with a hand, bet the hell out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I said: [ QUOTE ]
The real lesson here is don't try to do advanced stuff until you are ready for it. If your handreading skills are not good enough to play more hands, then don't play more hands. Play tight and straightforward and you will make good monbies, since the fish are making their own mistakes. Playing lag when you are not ready for it means you start making huge mistakes yourself: this is the problem here.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are basically saying the same thing. You are attributing the problem to the games themselves and your opponents, saying that you shouldn't make moves or play lag because many times it doesn't work or is unnecessary to winning play. All I did was add the caveat that many times, lag play at these limits fails because the person implementing it doesn't know what they are doing.

We all lurk high stakes and watch videos of high limit players making sick plays, that part of my post wasn't meant to be an insult directed towards you or anyone else. All I was trying to say is that lag play and big moves can work, but you have to make sure you know why you're doing it and who you are doing it against. Otherwise you will just be spewing. This is true not only for micro-stakes but for poker in general.