View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Rant: Doctors don\'t change the world.

[ QUOTE ]

jiggymike,
I don't really understand your rant. You are angry that people who are not really intelligent strive to be doctors and succeed?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a way, yes, but not exactly. As a biology major in undergrad, I was constantly in classes with people who wanted to be doctors. Many of these people were not very intelligent, they were merely cutthroat bastards who 1) wanted to get paid/family profession and 2) often had lots of money already, hence their admission into a college they probably weren't qualified to get into (NYU) as well as the reason they would be getting into med school. I am talking about a specific class of people, I guess, not everyone who is not a genius who wants to be a doctor. If someone is unintelligent but really really wants to be a doctor and works hard at it, then they deserve it and I imagine they will do a good job. The kinds of people I'm talking about could even be intelligent, it's just that they are doing it for the wrong reasons and they are real jerks about it. I imagine that these people end up being the worst doctors and being stupid just makes it worse. However, I generalized far too much in my original post and I don't think that anyone who wants to practice medicine for the right reason should be discouraged.