View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Rant: Doctors don\'t change the world.

I think this "myth" is propogated by intelligent doctors who are tired of all the morons who somehow get through college and med school based more on their financial status and the fact that colleges just push people through. It is not directed at ALL intelligent people (although some doctors would put it that way), just intelligent people who are interested in medical school. I'm sure a lot of these people go on to become medical researchers in any case. However, there are far too many idiot undergrads who I and others have met who want to go to medical school and somehow succeed in getting both through college and into med school, based more on hard work/financial status/dumb luck than intelligence. Many of these people just want to do it for the money or because their parents do it but they are not qualified. Good doctors may not change the world but they can change the lives of many people positively.

On the other hand, I disagree with your statement about pushing them into law. I feel like if you are intelligent and get into law, you will go for the position that pays the most, which are usually positions that do not help people in a "world changing" way. How many lawyers really are responsible for keeping the government in check? I'd venture to say a lot smaller percentage of lawyers than the percentage of doctors who make a noticeable impact on people's lives.