Thread: Strength/Weight
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Strength/Weight

Sorry for not being more detailed. I was intending to keep it general so that maybe the responses would be more useful to more people, but that does leave lots of room for guessing/confusion...

Anyway, I recently read "The New High Intensity Training" and it seemed very focused on adding mass. This seemed like something good to try since I'm 6'7" and 190 lbs. during a lazy, out-of-shape phase (and that's eating more than the most of the population and not exercising). I've lifted in the past, without which maybe my lazy weight would be more like 180-185.

So, I started keeping workout records when I started 11/1/06. Since then I've only worked out 12 times (as I'm writing this I'm realizing how little that really is compared to what I'd thought it was, although the 12 times are concentrated in 3 spurts and I was out of town for the other portions). The New HIT recommends lifting 3 times a week, with 1 set of 8-12 different exercises each day with each set being the max you can do getting between 8-12 reps.

My workouts have been:

Leg Curl
Leg Extension
Squats
Straight-Arm Pullover
Bench Press
Back Row
Overhead Press
Bicep Curls
Tricep Extensions
Wrist Curls
Calf Raises
and some type of Ab exercise

And while I've seen minor gains in some of the exercises, others seem to be nearly exactly the same now as they did when I started. I realize that I haven't been as consistent as I should've been, but I was in pretty poor shape when I started in November and lifting lighter than I've been able to in the past. This made me expect faster initial gains than I've seen, even taking into account my lackluster frequency.

My priorities now are to become more consistent and eat more, as I know I haven't been great at either so far. But I'm still a little suprised by the lack of any significant improvement so far, so any explanation or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

PS - I probably do something like play basketball or ultimate or snowboard 1-2 times a week.