View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Question regarding moving up in stakes...

Last night I made played in the 10/20 game for the first time ever. Normally I'm a 3/6 or 4/8 player. My bankroll going into the game was about $2500 (not nearly enough to play 10/20 regularly).

I was thinking about it all day, wondering how more than doubling my normal stakes would affect me. 'Am I going to pee myself the first time I get AA pre-flop and have to open for $20? $40 on the turn? On just a draw?'-- all that kind of crap.

Long story short, got a free play with 75 in the BB 5-handed... Flop J32, checked around, turn 5, SB bets, I raise, 3 folds, SB calls, we both check a river 3 and I win.
At that point I was no longer nervous because I was just playing poker. Regardless of the stakes, it's still just poker. And, as a real plus, I found the 10/20 game to be slightly tighter and WAY more passive than the 4/8.

I went in with the attitude that Sklansky suggests in "Sklansky on Poker". Play tighter than you normally would (thus sacrificing some profit) because you know the game itself will be more profitable than grinding out at lower stakes.

I say get some time at 10/20 (if you can)... you'll probably end up seeing some of the 20/40 and 30/60 players in that game occasionally. There you'll get a sense of what they do and how they do it. And you'll get a better idea of if you belong up there. And don't be afraid to casually scout the bigger games. You may find enough weak spots to make the game very attractive.