View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Premonitions, maybe.

Two more true stories, bear in mind I don't think they're special, so I guess you can say I don't believe in premonitions:

I once played a card game with my best friend's sister while we were both of high-school age.

Remember the TV gameshow Concentration? This was the 52 card variation. I had been beating her consistently as usually with my smarter friends we essentially played a perfect game--no lapses. The object is to collect the most pairs. Players take turns flipping two cards from all the face down cards, if they pair he tries again after removing the paired cards, if he fails to pair them the other player(s) get a turn.

Anyhow, she got so fed up from losing that she started the next game with the cards laid out in a non-matrix formation, giving a random chaotic appearance. I was to go first--which is considered a disadvantage.

I succeeded in choosing 4 pairs without any misses and I was laughing so hard that before I could attempt the 5th pair she messed up the cards in disgust (she never accused me of cheating). I didn't cheat, I could not tell which cards were which by viewing their obverse sides.

Okay, this is no big deal, someone would come up with an improbable tale, since probable ones don't rate... I get it--we have thousands of posters with millions or billions of events.

I started using a phone dating service back in the late 80s. I remember the very first woman I spoke to on the phone ever, she was a Quebecois and she spoke very reasonable English. This was the only pertinent clue to the following:

As the conversation passed the one hour mark, I told her I could guess her surname by a series of questions answered only with a 'yes' or a 'no' and she agreed to play along.

Without a SINGLE error, I asked two types of questions:

a) is the nth letter a consonant/vowel? (I CHOSE ONE, NOT 2)

b) is the nth letter ___? (I CHOSE ONE of 26 letters)

I guessed her surname using fewer than 2x questions, where her surname was x letters long--WITH NO ERRORS, THAT MEANS SHE NEVER ANSWERED A QUESTION WITH 'NO.'

I felt that this had absolutely nothing to do with premonition, but my sheer unmatched genius.

What do you think, premonition or genius?

Try guessing her name yourself, I'll pm you correct answers to guide you, once you fail, we stop communicating.

P.S. we dated for a bit... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]