View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Chopin Judo Chops His Way Into Hades (for Andy Fox)

[ QUOTE ]
John,

ckeck out Madeleine Peyroux singing "River" and Diana Krall's version of "Case of You."

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a bunch of Madeleine Peyroux on YouTube but not "River", She's very good, plays a style I love and yet I never heard of her which depresses me (the depression concerns my growing awareness of my cultural cluelessness).

From Googling around a bit it seams Madeleine Peyroux is supposed to be similar to Billy Holiday. So I wonder if I'll get to her by plugging in Billy Holiday into Pandora or last.fm.com (two of the music discovery and streaming sites).

Anyway, just tried Pandora and didn't get her after five tries (but my newly created Billie Holiday station looks like it will have good stuff)

Now I closed down Pandora and loaded up last.fm and after putting in Billie Holiday into search it comes back with about forty tags of "similar artists". One of the smaller ones was Madeleine Peyroux but they arn't playing her stuff; it could be a problem with license or whatever. The music they are playing is great stuff from the Billie era.

Now I went back to Pandora and created a new station titled "Madeleine Peyroux". This of course violates the point of music discovery services such as Pandora and last.fm; i.e., I discovered Madeleine Peyroux by reading John Cole's post. The way these things are supposed to work is I discover Madeleine Peyroux by starting from Billie Holiday.

Sorry if I'm rambling here; it's past my bedtime and I'm trying to bore myself to sleep. Maybe I should try lying in bed and reading the geography book I started rather than sitting in front of this machine with seven windows open, a video playing, and music streaming. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick