View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Sales of CDs and DVDs

I work for the largest wireless ISP in Indiana and we began getting letters from the government last year for terminating accounts of customers who were downloading copyrighted material via our network. The letters had the individual IP addresses for the exact users on our network. I had never seen anything like this before. Our engineers designed a few programs to block the ports the file sharing sites use and we no longer allow P2P on our network. I can see the government stepping in and completely putting the issue in the hands of the larger ISP's to hold them liable for any illegal downloading that happens on their network. We only have about 6,000 customers but the larger nationwide networks will turn off that switch as soon as they get sued for large dollars by the government. I doubt consumers will have the access online that would allow the file sharing to continue indefinitely. That said, I'm sure there will be new technologies coming out that will render individual CD's and DVD's obsolete for a consumer.