View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Default another thing to consider....

Very few people have had trouble with the idea of calling the initial re-raise (a 3-bet) with pocket 9's. To me, this makes sense from the standpoint of making the call when one has enough chips so that if overcards hit the flop, and a 9 does not appear, one can get off the hand with minimal damage. However, the hand was not played with a flat-call of the initial re-raise -- it was played with my opponent (you) making a 4-bet to t2,500, and then with me making my second re-raise (a five-bet) all-in.

At this point, it seems to me that one must contemplate seriously the possibility that such a betting pattern is not indicative of a bluff. If that is the case, then are the 9's really getting "the right price" to call -- especially at such an early stage of the tournament?

So far, while some responses have admitted my 5-bet range probably is beating 99, nobody has mentioned whether they think that, at level two of a somewhat deep-stacked tourney, they believe it is correct to make this call heads-up.

TK