View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Quantifying the accuracy of tells

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you come up with the 80%

Where do you come up with ANY of those percentages?

On that same topic, when people say "I probably call 20% and raise 80%" do you actually think they are anywhere near that? Doubtful.

Reads are not math unless its a betting pattern. You can make up random percentages to try and make it LOOK mathematical...and by all means, if you make one, stick to it. Because when you start making read specific plays based on a mathematical equation, you are going to get run all over.

The second someone picks up on what you're doing, they now can impact your decisions by a "tell."

If its math, its exploitable in poker. If you are making folds based on math, and you play a single player who picks up on it, you're toast.

I see a lot of people on this forum who are hardcore into poker math and thats fine. But math isnt everything in poker and it never will be. Why do you think people say things like "a computer could never beat better players"? Because the computer would be making every decision based on math and patterns which the real live player could then exploit.

Nothing wrong with doing this, im sure its a good exercise, but its not realistic.

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Rant duely ignored.

Anyone with a firmer grasp of theory want to contribute anything useful?

[/ QUOTE ]Why dont you just simply tell me how i'm wrong?

Making edge decisions based on a mathematical equation is exploitable. Correct?

Rather than just ignoring what I said, why not tell me how I'm wrong.