View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Default low middle pair question

I just got into an arguement in a home game with a friend of mine over how to play low pairs early in a multi table tourney. Here is the situation. Blinds 25 50, stacks are around 3000, so no real blind pressure. Player A opens with a raise to 130 after a fold or two, he is mid position. Player B simply calls in late position. Flop comes 2 4 6. Player A makes a continuation bet, and player B over raises all in. Player A calls.

The hands are rolled, and Player A had 5 5 and player B had a set. Now, I could not be critical of either play. However, Player B believed player A was stupid for calling in that spot, and that is when our arguement started. I reason the hand out as follows, I have pocket 5's, this guy called in LP and didn't raise preflop. I have middle pair and a gutshot straight draw (I know, its not that big of a deal). I don't make Player B for a big pair, no reraise preflop. 2's, 4's or 6's makes sense, but Ace King, King Queen also make sense. I am calling this raise. It looks like a bluff to me. I assume that those in a 50 dollar MTT probably know how to play, and are not overbetting like this guy is.

Am I wrong here? In an MTT with blinds moving every twelve minutes, am I wrong to keep moving? If I know he has the set, obviously I am not calling, but in my mind, especially with so many people wanting to play like that idiot Mike Matusow, I think calling is right. In online poker, it seems that no one respects the continuation bet.

Side note : IF this is LIVE poker, with slower blinds, I fold, no questions asked. I am taking into account online, with fast, 10 to 12 minute sessions.