View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Distribution > Human Life?

Yeah, he's nuts. It's people like that (equality > increasing size of the pie) that retard technological progress, making future generations much poorer. Ask him this hypo: If massively redistributing America's wealth in 1800 produced a more equal society and helped poor people in 1800, but resulted in a slowing of technological progress so that people in 2007 were still living like those in 1950 (e.g., 150 years of progress occurred whereas 207 would have otherwise), would he still be in favor of it? If he says yes, show him some stats about how >90% of poor people today have TVs, indoor plumbing, refrigeration, air conditions, cars, etc.--all much higher than average Americans in 1950. And we have a lot more people today. In short, redistribution from rich->poor is actually theft from future poor people.

Sadly, his ideas are too common to be attributed to mere kookdom. I'm not sure how entirely widespread it is, but the fact that we can't buy and sell organs on the open market is some evidence of its prevalence.