View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Buying a guitar (electric)

This is true, it really does depend on what style of music you want to play. The reason I mentioned american strat is because they definately hold their value better than guitars like schecters or ibanez. I have really been impressed with schecters lately. I really thought the blackjack series was pretty well built. Ibanez has always been pretty meh with me. I have played some I enjoyed, and some I really did not care for.

As far as an amp goes, if youre a tune freak like some of us, I would recommend tube amps. They have a much warmer, real tone than solid state amps. If you dont mind too much, line six makes a very nice modeling amp that can give you tons of different cool sounds and you wont need a pedal. My only pet peave with the line six is the clean channel blows pretty hard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Otherwise its decent.

Fwiw, if you crank up a blues junior or peavey classic 30 and get those tubes nice and hot, and use the correct pickup comb on a strat (I think its the 2 back single coils combined) you can get a very nice rock tone. You have to realize, most bands that you think use distortion actually dont. They just overdrive the [censored] out of their amps.

I just had a thought, the Fender Hot Rod deluxe is a SICK amp for rock. Really nice clean channel, and like 3 overdrive channels iirc. Sounded amazing with my cousins am. deluxe strat.

Epiphones can be pretty nice, and are not terribly expensive. They are just Gibsons sub-company. I had an epi les paul for my first guitar and it is still to this day my fav guitar. Granted I replaced the pickups, put new tuners on, etc. Its a unique guitar, but awesome.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.