View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: uber-indie: Deadly Obsessions

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't help that the first lesbian scene breaks the 180 degree rule maybe 15 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the "180 degree rule?"

[ QUOTE ]
Only, it isn't nearly sexy enough or escapist enough or even campy enough to really succeed in any one direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this insight very much. So often filmmakers seem to forget the "principle of limitation, the sole saving principle in the world." I remember Mike Myers describing how the milieu of the Austin Powers films is almost entirely inspired by his own personality quirks. The world inside Mike Myer's head may seem like a rather limited domain to make a movie about, but because it's a domain so feverishly real and funny to him, we can all revel in the intensity and unfamiliarity of our encounter with it.

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing the film does, plot-wise, is bold enough to get our attention. At no point does it really go for broke and risk being a big disaster. It plays close to the vest, unwilling to take a real chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I'm less fond of. IMO, a critic accusing a plot of failing to "take chances" is rather like a wine connoisseur accusing a wine of failing to "taste good." Certainly the wine should please the palate, and certainly a script must take chances. But we turn to experts to tell us why the wine doesn't taste good, and how the script failed to take a chance. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, keep 'em coming! Always a good read.