View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: A bit of a playalong from a video hand of mine..

I checked, BB bet, MP folded, and I called.

Here’s the reasoning behind my call:

BB is betting with 100% of his hands here. If MP calls, the parlay of MP and BB both having draws that miss will be way too tough for my hand here and I’d muck instantly. Just classic reverse implied odds. However, at this point I’m getting 7:1 with what will be the best hand often vs. a very aggressive player. The board isn’t such that my hand has a whole lot of value — even the weakest hands he’ll hold usually have around 6.5-7 outs and will put me to some sort of test so I don’t want to be building a big pot yet. This is what I consider a defensive check-and-call, and it leaves me option to lots of options on the turn. Depending on the turn, I may bet, I may check-call, I may check-raise, and obviously I may check-fold (I do this more than anything else). Basically, I’m check-calling this flop because I don’t feel that my opponent is going to bet the turn nearly 100% of the time, so often I’ll see a river for 1SB and will get paid off by his Ace and sometimes King-high hands when he misses. Additionally, a good portion of the time I’ll check-call the turn intending to check-fold the river (more about this later), to snap off his Ace high hands.

While I’m not a favorite vs his full range of hands (generally I think I’ve got about 45% equity here head’s up), I’ve got enough equity to see a turn card as long as a) I’m not fully committed to showing down 100% of the time, and b) I feel like he’ll give up often enough on the turn that a showdown will only cost betwen 1 and 3SB rather than 5SB.

The turn is the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I'm guessing we'll see a lot of the same as we saw on the flop but who knows, so I'll leave it up as playalong.

Rob