View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: salary negotiation

In my personal experience, as an HR policy, many companies will have official salary ranges for their various jobs, but they do not actually stick to them.

In two of my early jobs, I was paid more than the company officially admitted to paying people in my position, and was told to please keep quiet about it with my co-workers.

I was also paid a relocation fee by a company that does not pay relocation fees.

A friend of mine was given stock options by Dell, at a time when they Were Not Giving Out stock options to new employees.

If you know what their pay range is, either from their official documentation, or because you have a friend who works there, or because they mention it in the interview process, do not take it as set in stone.

I'm willing to bet that my attitude was part of it, for me. Not in a cocky demanding way, but just letting them know what I expect, and that they won't be disappointed, and that I'm not asking or begging for the salary, I'm telling them what it will take for me to seriously consider their job offer.