View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Default limit 5CD: slowplayed quads

I don't slowplay very often in limit 5CD, but I thought that this situation might warrant a slowplay. I would normally never limp from the button, but I've only played in this game for 20 minutes or so. My opponents might think that this is just a weak play from me.

Limit 5 Card Draw ($1/$2) (converter)

SB ($54), Seat 5
BB ($3), Seat 6
UTG ($54.50), Seat 1
MP ($33.50), Seat 2
CO ($74.25), Seat 3
Hero ($25), Seat 4

SB posts $0.50. BB posts $1.

Hero is Button with [Kd 4s Ks Kc Kh]

Round 1: (1.50 SB)

<font color="#666666">UTG folds. </font><font color="#666666">MP folds. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font><font color="red">BB raises. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font>
SB takes 3. BB takes 3. Hero discards 4s.

Hero has [Kd Ks Kc Kh Jh]

Round 2: (3.00 BB)

<font color="green">SB checks. </font><font color="red">BB bets $1 (all-in). </font><font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font>

Pot: (5.50 BB - $11)

One of the things I wanted to achieve by slowplaying this, was to induce the SB to call. Because the BB was short, I wouldn't get a lot of action from him anyway. If the SB accidentally made a very good hand post-draw, I might win a lot. The raise from the BB was a welcomed bonus, making the pot bigger. I couldn't raise now, because that would make it obvious that I had a big hand.

My other motive for slowplaying predraw, was that it might induce my opponents to believe that I was on a draw. If it got checked around after the draw, my opponents might think that I could be stealing with a busted draw.

I'm not sure if I would have slowplayed this if both blinds had been pretty deep, because a good player might see through it and I might not get as much action pre-draw as I would like. Does anyone have opinions on the way this hand was played?