View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Shooting Star preflop against Elezra

I don't like a reraise preflop here. He will be willing to go to the felt too often on flops without an ace or a king, but he probably won't pay us off if we hit, unless he has exactly AQ and an ace flops (barring unlikely scenarios like straights or flushes of course).

I think our equity is much higher just calling. We will win almost as much when we both flop a pair despite not having to put in nearly as much preflop, and we lose a lot less when we miss and he has a hand like an overpair or combo draw.

For the reraise preflop to be correct, we would need to be confident that he would fold often on ragged flops for 1 bet, but I just don't think that's the case.

Basically, given the momentum as you described it so far, he will "accidentally" be playing fairly close to perfectly in this pot if you reraise preflop.

Or to put it another way, we are turning our hand into a bluff way too often in a spot where he will be willing to call one down unless of course an ace or a king flops, and he will be legitimately worried that he does not have the best hand.

Edit: What do you guys think about a donk reraise preflop to like 2600? It will disguise our hand pretty well. He will probably be too suspicious of a huge hand to play back at us with air, so we will still win often if we miss, and if we hit, he might call an extra bet because he will have trouble putting us on AK. I know it sounds weird, but I'm thinking maybe we can get him to play badly (FToP-wise) if we take this weird line that is rarely taken with AK.