View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Help with some Ray Zee advice

Zee later differentiates between higher three straights and medium three straights such as QJT or JT9. So I would guess AKQ or KQJ mainly.

How live? You probably want no more than one of your suit out, the cards consecutive to your three cards live, and most of your pair cards (especially your door card) live. For example, if you held KQJs and were completely live, you have 9 flush cards, 9 pair cards, 3 tens giving you an OESD, and 6 aces or nines giving you one-way straight draw. That's 27 cards, or more than half the deck, that can improve your hand. I can see a preference for no more than 3-5 of those cards being dead, with no more than one of your suit, none of your door card (so you can better present trips if you pair it), and no tens being dead.

Zee places three consecutive high straight flush cards as better than a small pair or a razzy low. My guess is that he is probably correct there in that this hand can stand more action on third street and can better handle taking a card off on fourth if you brick. Is anyone disputing Zee's ordering of hands?

I think that this hand probably plays best when it is going up in a multiway pot against passive players who always play any pair and razz-y lows with little or no straight or flush possibilities. On fourth street, I think you can afford to take a card off if you know you won't get jammed.