View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: What goes with liquor?

[ QUOTE ]
I am opening up a liquor store. The space I'm eying is 1500+ sq ft, which I believe is much too big for a liquor store. I think it would be foolish to use up store space for inventory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to rent space that you can't use. If you do, you're putting yourself at a big competitive disadvantage. Don't do it - find a space that is more suited for your needs. Some landlords will divide large spaces, although, 1500 sq. ft. really isn't very much to divide. I probably wouldn't divide 1500 if I were a landlord.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Subleasing the store, and dividing it into 2 or 3. how do you guys feel about subleasing? is it difficult to do this by yourself/efficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

Commercial rental property exists in a market that is totally different than the residential RE market. Subleasing commercial property is going to be difficult if not impossible. It will be expensive to get it rented, and your legal fees are probably going to be very high. Plus, the landlord might not go along with the idea.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Sell more things...but what really GOES with liquor?
Some thoughts I have are...
-glassware/drinking supplies
-cigarettes
-t-shirts

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if you're in love with the space, this is your best bet. Maybe what you could do is go around to 50 liquor stores in your area and see what other people are doing.