View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: stud 8 - prof backwards

I totally agree with the essence of this post and I think the conventional wisdom on this board is definitely too weak/tight/passive with respect to overpairs in stud 8.

However two nits:

1. Actually you can be in terrible shape on 4th versus a single low opponent, but admittedly that is rare and shouldn't influence your play that much since you never know you're in that spot.

2. I thought most of the argument in this thread was about playing 5th strong versus a guy showing 3 low and a guy showing 2 low.

That's obviously a much worse spot than on 4th facing a guy showing 2 low and a guy showing a low and a brick.

Fourth you should clearly play to get heads up.

Fifth is a much more delicate situation (and one you should not often be in against decent opponents).

I think on 5th as much as you would like to eliminate the uncompleted low draw it may be best to play passively, considering you're unimproved and the pot is not that big.

At this point you lose a lot on the jamming with the possible made low and your equity gain is much reduced by the fact that the low half is usually already gone now.

Also you will want to fold if the 3 low catches another low on 6th and you're still on one pair.