View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

Dean,

You need to have more information in the OP. $500 could be enough but it also may not be anywhere close to enough.

First off, if you are competing in triathlons then you're a fool to have a mountain bike. There is also a difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike. If you are just doing a triathlon just for grins then it really doesn't matter but I would invest in my bike either way b/c it benefits you in so many ways.

The prices on bikes vary so much that it is tough. For instance just a Kuota (triathlon bike) frameset can get up to 3K.

Just go to a trusted bike shop, it is easy for me b/c Richardson Bike Mart is right down the rode and they are a noted biking authority (see Lance Armstrong) and get fitted. I don't know where you are and some people may not be anywhere near a bike shop. Anyway, they will measure everything. But my advice is that I would invest some money even if I just bought a Trek roadster.

As far as triathlons go you will be spending all your money on cycling. People don't realize how expensive cycling is b/c of how much stuff you have to have.