View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Improving general knowledge

I'd like to improve my general knowledge. I'd just like to learn about everything so I can take active part in discussions of all sorts. Areas I'd like to increase my knowledge in are "history, politics, religion" and "arts, design, music".

As it is now I have some scattered knowledge in all these fields but I seldom know enough to feel at home talking about topics in these fields for any length of time.

Ideally I'd like to find a manageable number of good resources that let's me get a coherent overview of some or all of these topics. And building on that foundation I'd also like to find resources that put the topics in relation to each other.

Like first reading about the main religions and religious branches of the world, and then learning more about how these religions spread and evolved and affected politics from a historical/political/cultural point of view. And then when I read about arts and design I'd also like to learn about it from a cultural and historical point of view. And put as much as possible in context. This is what creates the most interesting knowledge.

Has there been a good thread about this already?

All of you people who have a broad knowledge humanities and culture, please give advice on which resources will get me a coherent overview of these vast and interesting areas of knowledge.