View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Default How would you sell 100 pianos?

As some of you probably know, when I'm not living in internet millionaire fantasy world, I help run my dads business, a piano store.

So, my job is to convince customers to spend sometimes upwards of 100k on a piano.

We do pretty well just sitting back in the store and letting people walk in, but there's more money to be made, so I'm looking for some ideas.

One of our big money makers is the Yamaha disklavier. I'm not going to give you guys a sales pitch, but they're player pianos being marketed toward rich people who don't play.

So, one idea that I have is to partner up with real estate agents, builders, and interior designers. I want to figure out a way to have the piano put on display in houses for sale, and have the price of the piano built into the selling price of the house. When the house sells, the piano sells, and I give the agent a nice chunk of the profits for the help.

Not sure about this idea yet though. For one, would you consider it unethical? If the buyer doesn't want the piano I'd have no problem pulling the piano out.

Another question, is it legal? I have no idea about this when it comes to real estate law, but I'll probably just ask a local agent.

Anything else I should consider? Thoughts?

I's also be interested in hearing what you guys would do if you had this job. Remember, the idea is to convince people to spend thousands of dollars on a non essential product.

One thing you guys should probably know is that ~90% of the pianos we sell are to people who don't play. It's a pretty even mix between parents wanting a piano for their kids lessons and people buying them for status symbols.

Thanks,

-Scott