View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: nl 100 Help me improve my JJ play

First, I hate JJ when I'm reraised preflop. It is so hard to know whether or not you are ahead, especially on a board like this. The dilemma is that if you raise the flop, any amount you raise will seemingly commit you to the pot unless you are certain that villain has you crushed (pot odds are but one of many considerations, so just because you have good pot odds does not automatically justify calling a push by villain). However, because of stack sizes, if you raise at all, it makes little sense to raise half of your remaining stack. An all-in raise has a better chance of winning outright.

What could villain's range possibly be? AA-QQ are certainly possible. TT, 88 and 22 are doubtful because he wouldn't push the turn with a set. What about 99? Maybe. AK or AQ? Maybe. Do we have any reason to believe that villain would make these plays with AK, AQ, or a pp that we beat?

As played, I would fold to the push on the turn. Calling his bet after the flop is a good way to see if he let's of the accelerator on the turn. Since he pushed the turn, we have to give him credit for something that beats us unless we know he is capable of a bluff in this situation.

Again, I hate JJ because it's strong enough to make you think it's good in this situation but weak enough to be behind often enough to make committing yourself to it -EV.