View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Goofy Devil\'s Advocate argument for UIGEA

In all seriousness, the point I'd make in your position is that, even on a theoretical level, poker truly doesn't work as a game without something at stake, especially online. The intrigue and strategy of poker is wholly dependent on the fact that, to some extent, your opponents are attempting to also employ strategies.

Without incentive to do so, ESPECIALLY in an online environment, many play money players just act purely upon whim or in boring simple patterns for fun (i.e. constantly raise). And I'm sure nearly everyone who has ever played for play money would agree with this sentiment on a practical level. I know of very few people who played play money online poker for very long at all; even reserved, "I just like playing for fun" people find the online play money experience to be unbearable after a few thousand hands. The nature of this play money phenomenon also tends to downplay the meaningful social interaction between the players (perhaps a point of interest to the nonpoker people), quickly degenerating into insults and berating.

You could also say that, because of this, playing poker for play money online is not too different than playing a one-player poker game with simulated opponents with a mix of purely awful and purely whimsical strategies -- not difficult to approximate with AI, or, in this case, Artificial Unintelligence. So why connect to the internet at all for play money poker?