View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Goofy Devil\'s Advocate argument for UIGEA

I was having a discussion with some non poker nut friends the other day and this came up. Not sure if this is even the correct place for this. If not I apologize, Mods please put it where it belongs.

The argument was that the online poker players are not really concerned about the freedom to play their game and all that. They are really concerned about being able to gamble. Because if they were really just concerned about being able to play poker and the competition of the game, then playing for play money would be just fine with them(poker players).

The person that I was discussing this with, maintained that the biggest reason that people were upset, was because they were degenerate gambler types that just wanted a gambling fix. Whether it be poker or any other type of gambling. They also maintained that poker players rights were not being infringed upon anyway, as that they could still play all the poker they wanted online at any site. Just not for real money. If it was the game, and the competition factor that we as poker players really cared about. We should not have any problem playing with play money chips.

I do not agree with this argument, however I can see some people that are not really poker players seeing this as reasonable. I would like to know what some on this forum think of this argument, and what would be a really good way to counter it? I mean in a serious way not just saying to the person that they are nuts.

Thanks