View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: plugging a leak in my game

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very tricky situation because it is very read dependent. Is this a player who is going to bluff raise you? Is it someone who auto-bets when you check? does this player seem afraid of his shadow? Is this player a str8tforward rock? When you continue to bet on the turn here they don't know you don't have the ace. For the most part I would bet/fold this turn card. Sometimes I would check call it, calling again on river. Rarely would I check raise it (that's too expensive)and rarely would I check/fold it (don't be afraid of your shadow).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I couldn't provide an exact hand with an exact read. But the range of players this has been applying to is as likely to be a solid player defending a blind with A7, as it would be some donk calling with A4 in a position he has no business being in.

That having been said, is the check raise really expensive as you said ? Assuming he'd only 3 bet two pair or better, then It's exactly the same price as bet/call. And if he's willing to 3bet, I'm willing to fold. So I wouldn't discount the check raise at times. Although I guess the check raise is only making worse hands fold, which we don't like. Bah ! I'll trial some methods and report back with results.