View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Aliens - where are they?

The problem with all of these speculations is that they are all based on a very Earth centric idea of what life is.

We are making assumptions such as that is has to be a carbon based life form, that it would use similar technologies to what we use (metal, electricity, etc) and that they would be limited in other similar ways, such as resources, life expectancy, and similar mentalities.

Yes, it is probably unlikely that a species similar to us will make contact, because we are well aware of our technological limitations. But truly, if there is a lifeform that is so advanced so as to be able to reach us, it is entirely possible that they are also so far advanced in other ways, such as mentally, or spiritually (don't flame) that their reasons for wanting to visit us might be very different than what we would speculate, such as to colonize.

Survival of the fittest may not be an issue in other areas of the universe, e.g. the Borg from Star Trek, a species that revered itself as one entity.

It is entirely possible that there exist lifeforms in different dimensions of reality, and that have made contact with us in any number of ways, such as taking 3rd dimensional forms and making contact, or influencing our thought patterns. There is some speculation that crop circles are messages from higher dimensional entities that pass through our three dimensions.

We need to open our minds a little here. Similarly to another bothersome thing about the SMP forum, which is that every other thread is arguing Christianity. There are hundreds of philosophies and religions, and to continue to banter back and forth about this single one is like having a poker forum where every thread is about Sit N Goes.

And no, I'm not a crackpot with a tinfoil helmet. I'm sure I come across as one by now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]